- Join various blogging communities. There is absolutely nothing better than to start out with a group of people who range from super experienced to newbies. Due to the vast experience levels in the community, every blogger feels comfortable asking questions and/or helping other bloggers out. A few great ones are Fashion Beauty Friend Friday, Independent Fashion Bloggers, & Full Time Fabulous.
- Participate in various social media outlets. There are so many different ways to get involved in social media. My personal favorite is Twitter, but many people love using Facebook, Google+, Foursquare, LinkedIn, etc. This makes it really easy to connect with other bloggers on a more personal, conversational level.
- Good quality photographs are a must. I know when starting out, good quality pictures are really hard to come by, especially if you do not have a good camera, or are just starting out in learning photography. Let me tell you, even as a blog reader the photos can make or break the post. Don't think you have to have a really expensive camera to take good pictures. It can be done on almost any type of camera, it's all about experimenting and finding what you like!
- Content counts. This is 100% true. I am in the process of boosting my content myself, and have found my readers to be more responsive in the process. While pretty pictures are nice, it's boring to have a full post of just pictures and nothing else.
- Network & Share Content. Network, network, network. I can't stress this enough. Just be sure to remember that while networking, it's always important to share not only your own content, but other bloggers' too. Constantly promoting yourself gets to be boring, and seems a tad selfish. The more you support other bloggers, the more they will support you, thus creating a fabulous blogging family!
Monday, December 26, 2011
Guest Post :: Lessons from Kirstin's first year
Hi there! I'm Kirstin from Kirstin Marie. With the holidays in full swing, it really gets my mind going. I'm organizing my thoughts to see what I'd like to set on my goals list for next year (sort of a New Years Resolution list, if you will). I've been blogging for just over a year, and I've learned so much in that one segment of 365 days. I know what I can improve, what I needed to change, and more-so, how to blog for myself. It can be super tough starting out as a new blogger, so here are a few of my tips based upon what my first year has taught me.